Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Who's on First?

My first batch was boysenberry ice cream. The recipe called for heavy whipping cream and whole berries. Dutifully, I followed the instructions which said nothing about mashing up the fruit but just throwing the berries in. So, that was my first lesson:

MASH UP THE FRUIT!

After making the custard and pouring the whole thing into the machine, I knew something wasn't right. In a panic, I fished out some of the fruit fruit with a spoon then started smashing them with a fork. It wasn't cute. Because I am a Libra (always searching for balance/somewhat noncommittal) I squished half of the berries and left the other half whole. What I learned:
  • Squish all of the berries. The whole, frozen berries lacked flavor and were too big to chew comfortably.
  • Strain the berries after mashing them. The seeds were bitter and got in the way of fully enjoying all those calories.
  • This is just a personal preference but I realized I don't love large amounts of heavy whipping cream.
So, now, here's the challenge - how to make delicious frozen desserts with minimal heavy (double) cream?

No comments:

Post a Comment