Sunday, March 22, 2009

Honey Vanilla Ice Cream or, I love this job

Honey Vanilla Ice Cream is delicious and I love it. In fact, I love it so much that I could take a bath in it. I love it so much I could put it in a tux and take it to the prom. And I'm betting that in some countries, it's a form a currency. Luckily, it's not at all difficult to make. But I don't think you want to let on to to that. I think you want to impress your guests by nonchalantly implying that making it was wildly complicated.

I've done two batches thus far and both tasted amazing. The second one had a better consistency as the first was a little lumpy.

What I learned:
  • If you are making custard and the phone rings, don't stop stirring to answer it. Your custard will be a little lumpy and if you forget to strain it before putting it in the machine, your ice cream will be, too.

Honey Vanilla Ice Cream

2 c milk
3/4 c honey
dash of salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 c half and half
1 cup whipping cream
1 tbs vanilla

Heat milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat but do not boil. Stir in honey and salt.

Pour small amount of hot liquid into eggs then mix into the milk mixture. Stir mixture over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.

Cool thoroughly at room temperature. Stir in cream and vanilla then refrigerate until cold.

Prepare in ice cream maker as per manufacturer's instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment