Tuesday, October 6, 2009

There's Corn in the Stuy

About eight weeks back I was walking around Bed-Stuy when I saw this.


Corn. In a cinderblock planter in front of a bodega. Because, people always grow corn in front of their corner shops in the middle of America's biggest city. Wait, New York is America's biggest city, right? Hmm, I always just assumed...

Okay, I Googled it. NYC is America's biggest city. Whew! For a minute there I thought I was overpaying for this tiny apartment to live someplace itty bitty in population like Houston or Beijing.

Oh, but I digress (what's new?).

I thought about finding things in unexpected places and ice cream is one of the last places you'd expect to find corn. But this is all the rage these days. Corn ice cream has been popping up on menus every fall for the last few years. Corn? Popping? Get it? Oh, never mind. Here's the recipe I used from Apartment Therapy's thekitchn and here's the end result:


Did it turn out? Was it any good? Yes and yes. Once you get over the association of creamed corn from the cafeteria at your elementary school. Foodies be damned, someone had to say it.

No comments:

Post a Comment