Friday, July 3, 2009

What to do with leftover egg whites?

Perhaps you noticed a slice of cake next to that  buttermilk ice cream in yesterday's post.  Just in case you didn't, here's another look.  


My food "styling" look like The Ploughman's Lunch 
at a some pub in the English countryside.  I'm into it.

Yes, I baked something other than a potato - terribly rare.  But, my goodness, you just have to do something those leftover egg whites!  This ice cream adventure has made me feel just awful about tossing egg whites.  And to be clear, I don't ever plan on tossing them.  I plan on doing something amazing with them and then they sit in my fridge for so long that the choice becomes I either get rid of them or start charging them rent.  So, I Googled the issue and got a recipe from Nami Nami.

The measurements are metric but it looked so delish that I went out and bought a scale that does metric conversion and, oh, baby, is it ever worth it!

Egg White Cake
(Munavalgekook)
6 large egg whites
250 g caster sugar
160 g plain/all-purpose flour
1 heaped Tbsp potato starch or cornflour
1 tsp baking powder
100 g melted butter (just under a stick), slightly cooled

  • Whisk the egg whites with 2 Tbsp of sugar until thick and pale and very foamy. Mix the rest of the sugar with flour, potato starch and baking powder, then sift into the egg mixture and fold in gently.
  • Finally fold in cool melted butter.
  • Pour the batter into a buttered bundt-form and bake in a pre-heated 180 C oven for 30-40 minutes. Test for doneness with a wooden toothpick.
  • Cool slightly before turning out of the cake tin.
Thanks, Nami Nami!

The Kitchn at Apartment Therapy offers instructions for making meringue, macaroons, angel food cake, egg white omelets, and a Gin Ramos fizz here.  

Waste not want not!

No comments:

Post a Comment